Thursday 11 July 2013

Ducks in a Row

Ok. Breathe. Time to start planning.

I've seen a Waiex before, but can I actually evaluate one? Doubtful. I need someone with some experience in my corner. I need to talk to a builder.

First stop: Canadian Civil Aircraft Register. There are 32 Sonex aircraft on the Canadian Registry. Not one Waiex.

Next stop: Sonex Find-a-Builder Database. 4 Waiex aircraft under construction in Canada.

What's the nearest Canadian city to Minneapolis? Winnipeg. Are there any Sonex aircraft in the Winnipeg area? Yes: C-FMNX owned and built by Mervin Friesen of Kleefeld, MB ... and the Sonex Find-a-Builder database contains his email address. Let's send him an email.

Merv replied quickly with a short note, his phone number, and a photo of his plans-built, Jabiru 2200 powered Sonex.


His airplane is as pretty in person as it is in the photo. The man is a true craftsman. He is also a true gentleman. I called him up to discuss my situation. He had been to the Airlake airport to meet with other Sonex owner-builders previously, though he had not met Joel. After a few minutes of chatting, I decided to ask him a big question: would he be interested in going to take a look at N14YX with me? He said "yes" and I proceeded to book a flight to Winnipeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment