Wednesday 28 August 2013

Trip #2 - 2

After speaking with Dick yesterday, I decided that it would be best for him to do the engine work for me. So, I picked up the engine from Further Performance and dropped it off at Dick's shop/home in Wayzata. Dick and I discussed options for the engine. Keith had said yesterday that he felt his Sonex didn't have enough power with the stock AeroVee. I decided to go hog wild. Dick was charged with performing the following work:
  1. Install the Great Plains Force One Hub and Main Bearing.
  2. Increase displacement from 2180cc to 2332cc. This will require a new crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, cylinders (Dick has a set of new Nikasil cylinders in the shop - very light), case clearancing, align-boring ... like I said, hog wild.
I asked Dick to keep the compression ratio low to avoid detonation, since I want to run MOGAS. AeroConversions recommends 7.0:1 for MOGAS. Dick said that 8.0:1 wouldn't be an issue on MOGAS, provided the ignition is timed correctly. Timing on the AeroVee is fixed at 28 degrees BTDC. Dick runs MOGAS at 30 degrees and 8.0:1(?) on the redrive-equipped 2332cc VW in his 601. According to him, street engines run at 32 degrees. I hope he's right! Just to be safe, I asked him to keep the compression ratio below 8.0:1, knowing that it would rob some power. I left Dick with a $900 USD deposit.

By the time I arrived at the Airlake Airport, the morning was gone. Keith has been back to the hangar and had finished removing W0014's empennage with the help of his brother, Bruce. Keith had also manufactured the doubler bars needed for the forward spar carry-through reinforcement required by WIX-SB-001. Since all aircraft are slightly different, Sonex supplies 7/8" aluminum bar stock and expects owner/builders to make this part. Thanks to Keith and Bruce! It was quite a surprise to arrive at the hangar and find these tasks done!

WIX-SB-001 Doubler Bar
The battery was totally flat. I hooked it up to a charger and it got quite hot - not taking a charge! I'm not surprised since it has sat for so long. It's time to replace it. There are lightweight lithium options now - I'll have to investigate ...

I drained all the old fuel from the fuel tank and put it in my rental car to burn. I left the tank open to ventilate. The cockpit smells strongly of fuel: I will need to fix the fuel seep at the tank sump. For those not familiar, the Sonex plastic tanks are notorious for leaking at the moulded-in fittings. Over-torque them once (and it doesn't take much) and you're screwed. To fix this problem, Sonex supplies Oops Fittings. They are an elegant solution, but would be a pain in the butt to install while the tank is in the airplane. For now, I plan to apply some sealant (Van's ProSeal replacement) to the exterior of the sump and hope for the best. It's not the nicest fix, but the sealant worked for Mervin in C-FMNX.

No comments:

Post a Comment